Just switch over from iPhone 4S for about 2 weeks. First impression it’s great. After 2 weeks of usage, I love it. Well, mostly. There’re still a few things that I would love to be improved.
What I love about SIII:
- The relatively large screen size – compared to iPhone. You would say why not Galaxy Note then? Personally, I think Galaxy Note is too big for a phone. And makes you look quite retarded when picking up calls.
- The camera – I got myself an iPhone 4S earlier was mainly because of the camera factor as well. Well now this still one of the main reason I switched over to SIII. Better camera picture and no cool down time between shot. Awesome!
- The speed – well as known, the highly applauded Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9.
- The customization and compatibility – Gone with iTune and syncing. Just copy paste, drag and drop and it’s there and playable right on the phone. Pick an app from PlayStore, your phone automatically installs it. .avi .mkv .flac.. any file format you name it, it’ll play it. I know this is more of Android rather SIII. But still it’s a lot faster on SIII for me to enjoy all the experience. Call me a nerd or a geek. But I love the ability to customize software and have full control of the system not letting some iTune doing all the back-end work.
- Work seamlessly with google service… probably one major problem I have with iOS. And again this is probably a plus point for Android and not SIII but again at this point, my SIII and my Adroid is one.
- The Battery life! oh yes the battery life! Something I’m sorry deprived off on 4S especially for a user who always turn on 3G. You tell me to turn off 3G to save battery, is as good as telling me not to use smart phone. SIII battery life is noticeably much longer than 4S with 3G on. And they have a quite a number of battery saving app that actually works!
- Still looks slim with cover on. Probably a minor point, but it’s also part of my consideration. Since for iPhone, when I put the back cover on, I find it quite bulky. So I ended up not using cover at all. SIII with cover on still pretty much slim, which is good.
What I don’t like about SIII:
- Position of volume and standby buttons: it’s too low. Always accidentally press it when holding my phone. So irritating.
- Screen brightness – quite a lot of review on the net I read complain about SIII’s LCD brightness. Now I know what they mean. On iPhone, I’m always at 50% brightness and it was already quite bright. But on SIII, I’m on 100% brightness, and I’m still wishing it can go to 200%. That’s how dim it is.
- Stupid background service hogging my RAM – seriously I don’t know what and how many background service Android is running. I have no application on and doing nothing, my RAM is already 470+ MB used up. And though advertised as 1GB RAM. I only see 700+ MB of RAM in Application Managers. So if I run a lot of other app with background service… The RAM so easily filled up. Luckily, there’s an app to take care of that. Either way, I’m still kinda disappointed.
All in all, I think the pros for using SIII pretty much outweigh the cons for me. I can’t wait to try Jelly Bean. Don’t think I’ll ever convert back to iPhone. I seriously don’t like my device to control my behavior and usage. For me it should always be the other way round.